Friday 25 June 2010

Waterfall Jacket in final fabric

I first constructed the shell of the bodice (without the lining), sewing all the panels into place but leaving the side seams open so I can attach my sleeves using the flat method.

After constructing the basic shape I could then move onto the more fiddly areas such as the waterfall collar and drape and the bottom of jacket.  I used french seams at the edges of these pieces as this fabric is slightly see through so I did not want any loose threads floating around inside as it would look unprofessional.

I then gathered the sleeve, ready to be sewn in place.  As mentioned before I used the flat method, attaching the sleeve first and then sewing up the side seam and underarm seam.

After this I proceeded to line the garment, sewing all panels of the lining in place before hand to it looks like another shell of a bodice.  Making sure all raw edges were hidden I manufactured the lining in place, which I have to admit was rather difficult as the fabric used was rather thick and the outer fabric was stretchy so there was a good deal of manipulation needed on my part.

During fittings I decided where the fastenings would be and decided to use hook and eyes and have the buttons as ornament.  I then finished the garment by binding the sleeves; I decided to do this after fittings so I would know beforehand if the sleeves were too loose or too tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment